A Human Disaster:’ 1 In 5 Angelenos Test Positive For Coronavirus

LA officials warned Angelenos Monday that the worst of the COVID-19 pandemic was still on the horizon following another holiday surge

LOS ANGELES, CA — Public health officials delivered an ominous message to Angelenos Monday — the worst days of the coronavirus pandemic still lie ahead. As many still chose to ring in the new year with those outside their households, officials were preparing for a potential surge, on top of a surge.

It took almost 10 months for Los Angeles County to reach 400,000 cases, but the county garnered some 400,000 more cases in the last month alone, County Supervisor Hilda Solis said Monday.

“That is a human disaster, and one that was avoidable,” Solis said. “But I need to underscore that it could be worse, the situation is already beyond our imagination but it could become beyond comprehension…”

While the amount of those dying remained in the double digits just in November, the daily death toll has begun surpassing 100 almost on a daily basis, County Public Health Director Barbara Ferrer said. Ferrer urged that the county could be barreling toward a fate where hundreds if not thousands could die each day if Angelenos don’t begin to heed health orders soon.

The warnings came on the heels of a weekend that also saw the county top 800,000 infections since the pandemic began.

With 9,142 new infections reported Monday, the countywide total reached 827,498. But the new cases reported Monday are believed to be an undercount, due to holiday weekend reporting lags and the closure of some testing sites. The county also reported 77 more deaths due to COVID-19 on Monday, pushing the countywide death toll to 10,850 since the start of the pandemic.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *